Yes we all need a good night’s sleep and maybe a cat nap during the day to refuel. Eating healthy and regularly throughout the day is important for staying energized too. However I have noticed that much of my exhaustion comes from rushing, worry, feeling unorganized and overwhelmed. This isn’t physical, this is complete mental exhaustion.
Crash and Burn
If I don’t take a moment to refuel throughout the day, I am usually spent by the end of the day. No time left for me, him, the children. No one. Truth be told I am so tired of the daily crash and burn.
Stop and Pause.
Take notice of what is good right now. Be mindful of how great this moment is. It’s a beautiful fall day. The air is crisp, the leaves are changing, my coffee is strong and I am writing this post. Life is good. All is okay.
Take a Energizing Breathe.
Not working? Can’t get there? Mind is too wound up with ruminating thoughts? Stop, pause, breathe. Breathe in for the count of 6, hold your breathe for 2 and release slowing through your mouth for 7.
Inspired by Others.
Be inspired by others. The women in front of me in Spinning class this morning had a double mastectomy and reconstructive surgery less than three months ago. The woman to the right of me teaches autistic children all week. They were sprinting way faster than I was. They completely inspired me.
Easy Access to Joy.
Deliberately create easy access to joy. Organize your home, office and car with refueling stations.
- Listen to a great podcast or audio book on your drive.
- Fill a full gallon of water with fresh lemon slices to drink throughout the day.
- Make a tray of energizing ice cubes. Mix 1 tablespoon of spirlulina with 12 oz of lime juice and freeze. Add two cubes to your water. Spirulina ice cubes idea from Dr. Oz. Add a bit of honey to the water to sweeten it up.
- Create a quiet haven in your home with books, a candle and a comfortable chair so you can sit and read for a while. This is like your own little refueling station.
Transition throughout Your Day. Create 4 Refuel Rituals to help you –
- Start your morning in a more powerful and energized way. Start with a little gratitude.
- Create a mid-day recharge ritual
- A work to home ritual without the alcohol.
- Finally, create a relaxation ritual to calm you down.
Enjoy an Energizing Snack.
One word: Chocolate
Do the One Thing and Do the Fun Thing.
When running through your tasks and to do’s for the day, be sure to include the one thing that you should have done months ago that is weighing you down with worry and the one fun thing that you keep putting off.
Fold your laundry. Clean out the junk drawer. Take everything off your desk. Organizing something makes you feel so in control, doesn’t it?
You can’t go wrong with Ellen. Here she is with Johnny Depp playing Never Have I Ever. Play a funny prank on someone. Seriously. Find something to laugh at or someone to laugh with. Read a funny book. Esquire Magazine’s list of funniest books ever here.
Buzz feed’s 25 Easy pranks to play here.
How do you refuel during the day? I am always looking for something fun, new and creative to try. Please share in the comments below.