Animals that have the capacity to breathe slowly and deeply tend to have longer lifespans. Take the giant Aldabra Tortoise for instance, living to 152 years old.
When you inhale, your lungs expand to hold the incoming air. How much air they hold is called lung capacity and varies with a person’s size, age, gender and respiratory health. The maximum amount of air an average adult lungs can hold is about six liters (that’s the same as about three large soda bottles).
Deep, slow breathing has many benefits.
1. Breath = life. The better (fuller) you breathe, the more energy you will have. Taking deeper breaths will bring in more oxygen into the body and improve your energy levels.
2. Deep breaths = less stress and better digestion. Slow deep breaths help to activate parasympathetic nervous system which is when the body gets the chance to recuperate, regenerate, and heal..
3. Deep breaths = less inflammation. Deep breathing is said to reduce the acidity level of the body making it more alkaline reducing your risk of infection
4. Deep breath = more awareness. The more awareness you have in the present moment, the more likely you are to connect with your intuition or internal teacher. It is a matter of learning to listen to that voice and understand it.
5. Slower breaths = better relationships. Most relationships would be better if people were less reactive. Can you imagine if instead of saying something mean, you were able to mentally step back and chill before talking?
Kiss your life today. Accept it as it is. Right now. So that those moments of peace, happiness and joy you are waiting for don’t pass you by.
Marisa Veerman on Instagram