“We don’t see things the way they are, we see things the way we are.” Anais Nin
For those of you who have been following me, you already know that I am determined to improve myself daily with the goal of going to bed a little smarter and stronger every day. I have a firm belief that it is my duty to give the best version of me to the world each day. Better Together
I am on a quest to learn and acquire new habits, rituals, patterns and thoughts to become the best version of me, because I can’t just “think” my way there. It takes action and deliberate practice. I hope to form a community here on this blog of like-minded motivated people so we can help each other grow mentally, physically and emotionally every day. We can learn a lot from each other and in turn become our best versions together. So with that stated, I really appreciate your advice and contributions. What has worked for you? What books are you reading? What exercises are you doing? What classes are you taking?
“Each friend represents a world in us, a world not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born.” Anais Nin
Lightening Up, Sparking Joy, Creating Love
So, today, I am sharing a smart, practical approach to organizing and achieving your personal goals for success.
Before that, a quick assessment.
What I have accomplished so far (a year of daily deliberate practice).
- I lost 25 lbs on The Four Hour Body, a slow carb diet
I highly recommend: The 4 Hour Body: An Uncommon Guide to Rapid Fat Loss, Incredible Sex and Becoming Superhuman
- I wake up with gratitude and journal everything I am thankful for
- I started a daily workout routine and began Spinning and dancing weekly
- I began a daily practice of mindful meditation to clear my head
- A commitment to reading and learning something new daily
- 30 minutes of writing and reading aloud my purpose and plan for my life
- and devoted Sunday mornings to a one hour spiritual ritual with my husband
This next year I hope to spark joy in my life by letting go of everything that I no longer need while continue to lighten up and create love out of everything I do – cooking, working, writing, sharing, everything. Inspired by Marie Kondo’s book The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing
Taming the Wild Within
Just like everyone else, I struggle with certain things and one of my biggest challenges is getting overwhelmed. I have too many goals, too many dreams and I vibrate on the side of hyper mania. This drives my family and my friends nuts, but they love me just the same. So calming myself down daily is a big thing for me. See “mindful meditation” practice above. I meditate for me and everyone that has to deal with me. I believe that mediation + movement (exercise) = my daily dose of medication.
“Dreams pass into the reality of action, from the action stems the dream again; and this interdependence produces the highest form of living.” Anais Nin
So my practical advice today is to follow along with me as I show you how I am going to organize my goals in a way that will not overwhelm me, allow me to be successful and continue to become the best version of me. There is one rule: I can only do one goal at a time and make it a habit for the year.
Step 1. Categorizing Life
Here are my categories:
- Relationships & Family
- Professional & Career
- Financial Health
- Physical & Health
- Emotional & Spiritual
- Time Management & Routines
- Household & Living Environment
- Personal & Intellectual Development
Step 2. Rating My Development So Far
The rating scale: 0% = completely unhappy to 100% this is the best version of me
Here are my categories:
- Relationships & Family – 45%
- Professional & Career – 60%
- Financial Health – 15%
- Physical & Health – 50%
- Emotional & Spiritual –80%
- Time Management & Routines – 75%
- Household & Living Environment –35 %
- Personal & Intellectual Development – 75%
Step 3 – Identifying What Needs Improvement
Relationships & Family – 45%
“You cannot save people, you can only love them.” Anais Nin
- More forgiveness, patience and quality time scheduled with everyone I love. Friends and family.
- Make new friends from around the world through this blog.
Professional & Career – 60%
“One’s life shrinks or expands according to your courage.” Anais Nin
- Continue to inspire each day by sharing what I am learning each morning.
- Writing my book “Lightening Up, Sparking Joy, Creating Love” Giving Your Best to the World
- Helping new clients grow with my marketing and public relations skills
- Continue to improve my Social Media, Photoshop and WordPress skills
Financial Health – 15%
- Learn how to invest in successful companies for the long term while allowing compound interest work for me.
- Pay down left over credit card debt, reduce my living expenses and understand if the insurance I have is the best for my family
- Save 10% of what I earn monthly, no matter what.
Physical & Health – 50%
- Lose 5 more lbs, Tone my body with an increase in pushups, situps, planks and weights.
- Carry less tension in my body and practice a full body scan meditation to release that tension
- Visit my doctor for a full check up and blood work
- Become a more mindful eater with a mindful kitchen to prepare healthy meals
Emotional & Spiritual –80%
- Continue to remove negative thoughts of anger and doubt
- Practice radical acceptance with compassion and loving kindness
- Develop a schedule of meditation practices to do throughout the day
Time Management & Routines – 75%
- Develop a mindful relaxation ritual at night that does not include more than one glass of chardonnay
- Continue to write my 90 seconds of daily victories each evening
- No phones, laptops or tablets in the bed
- Relaxation stretches and meditation before bed
Household & Living Environment –35 %
“Anything that I cannot transform into marvelous, I let go.” Anais Nin
- Purge everything that doesn’t spark joy for me in my entire house and care for everything I decide to keep. – clean it, paint it, fold it, organize it, make it shine.
- Refrain from buying anything new unless absolutely necessary for the entire year.
Personal & Intellectual Development – 75%
- Find my work and home “uniform” – clothes that suit the occasion that I feel great in and that I don’t have to think about too much.
- Read and learn how to continue to become a better writer. I just found this amazing list of 150 free writing tools here
- Complete books I am reading including The Tools and my winter reading list.